Murano Glass History


The first document that certifies the workmanship of Murano glass dates back to 982 AD. However, archaeological excavations have uncovered fragments indicating the presence of such activity in the seventh century.

The glass art was promoted by the Republic of Venice only in the twelfth century.
In 1291 the furnaces moved to Murano because most of Venetian buildings were in wooden and people wanted to avoid risk of fire.
In 1450 the invention of crystal glass by Angelo Barovier, made the Murano famous all over the world.
In 1500, many glass masters moved from Venice to seek their fortune elsewhere, so the Venetian style spread throughout Europe.

In 1600, the Murano glass had a period of crisis due to the spread of Bohemian crystal and English crystal.
n 1787, with the arrival of Napoleon and the cession of Venice to the Austro-Hungarian empire, very high duties were imposed on products from Murano to preserve the Bohemian crystal.
Only in the nineteenth century the Murano glass witnessed a rebirth thanks to the discovery of new types of glass and thanks to the construction of some furnaces.

The Museum of glass was founded in 1862 and in 1864 there was the first exhibition.
In the twentieth century the glass master began to collaborate with other professional figures for designing and creating his own objects.
In the fifties the Murano attracted artists like Calder, Moore, Fontana, Guttuso, le Corbusier, etc..
Today the art of Murano continues to have a great success thanks to the combination of respect for tradition with the innovative spirit of designers and contemporary artists.